We'd like to help you with some of the most commonly asked questions. If you have other things you would like to discuss, feel free to contact us so that we can help you make an informed decision about purchasing a generator.
You need to consider:
- What is the generators wattage capacity and will it support your needs?
- Does the generator have enough outlets to plug in all of the items i want to power?
- How noisy is the generator?
- Do you prefer a recoil or an electric start generator?
- Do you prefer a diesel or a petrol powered generator?
- How large is the fuel tank and how many hours of operation will it provide?
- Can the generator be easily transported?
- What accessories will you need to run the generator?
If you are unsure about any of the above, simply give us call and we will gladly assist you!
It is very important to choose the right sized generator for your needs. If you choose a generator that is too small, you will not be able to run your essential appliances during a power outage. Further, overloading the generator may lead to its breakdown as well as damage to all appliances that are using its power.
|Clothes Dryer||2,400||Television Set||75 - 200|
|Hot Water Service||2,500 - 3,000||Toaster||250 - 1,250|
|Iron||900 - 1,200||Washing Machine||500 - 3,000|
|Kettle / Jug||800 - 1500||Air Conditioner (Non-inverter)||1,000 - 2,500|
|Lights||25 - 200||Domestic Water Pump||See Electric
|Radiator||1,000 - 2,500||Welder, 140 Amp(Non-inverter)||5,000|
|Refrigerator||100 - 800||9"Angle Grinder||2,300|
Above chart is a guide only and some appliances will vary their watts depending on brand.
CHOOSING A GENERATOR
Power tools rated up to 1000 watts. Portable Drill, Jigsaw, Toaster, Frypan, Lighting, Heating, TV, Small Fridge, ¼ to ½ hp Motor (depending on type). Ideal for the “Home Handyman”. Light in weight to power small appliances and for home use. Choose 2.4 kVA.
Power tools rated up to 2200 watts. Small Air Conditioner or Radial Saw, Lighting, Heating, TV, Microwave, Oven or Hotplate, Small Submersible Pump, ¾ hp Motor (depending on type). Choose 4.4 kVA.
Power tools rated up to 3400 watts. Small Air Conditioner, Radial Saw, Lighting, Heating, TV, Microwave, Oven or Hotplate, Submersible Pump, ¾ to 1 hp motor (depending on type). Choose 7 kVA.
All information above is an approximation only.
As a rule portable generators should never be overloaded, however all Dunlite portable petrol sets can provide twice their normal output for a short period (e.g. during start-ups).
For example, a 4.4 kVA Dunlite generator can deliver up to 3500 running Watts and 7000 starting Watts.
Important to note: If a generator is running for long periods of time with an overload (i.e. that is a rating above the maximum rating of the set) there are various things that may occur:
- Overheating of the engine
- Overheating of the alternator, which will burn out the windings.
- Breakdown in oil consistency causing low oil pressure and engine failure.
- Reduced generator lifespan.